For my recent Mixing Masterclass event I remixed a song I did for the band Cardinal Chase just before I moved to Vancouver. I was kind of surprised how quickly the mix came together this time and how few plugins (compared to the first mix) I used. Last night I compared the two unmastered versions, one from May 2010 and the latest from Jan 2011. A dramatic difference! Perhaps still not a great mix but the band and I were happy with the one back in May.
Have a listen.
May 2010 Mix *unmastered* ~11 hrs to mix
Jan 2011 Mix *unmastered* ~6 hrs to mix
Both mixes have the same peak level but the latest is clearly denser. Both were done using Pro Tools 8. The latest used primarily stock digidesign/AIR plugins with only a couple of 3rd party processors; a mix bus comp, and a multiband comp.
A Very interesting experiment, I encourage you to try remixing one of your old projects from scratch, maybe even once a year to track your progress.
Here is the Mastered Version